Wednesday, April 12, 2017

Heat is the Answer to Cleaning



How to do-Autoclave?

                       Autoclave is a laboratory cleaning method where I have to place contaminated lab equipment into this oven-like machine to kill any bacteria, that would reside on the equipment. The lab equipment may include: beakers, flasks, graduated cylinders, lab bottles, and the lab bottles' caps. Before I put the equipment into the oven, I had to clean out all of the dishes using dish water and bleach so that I can kill as many bacteria as possible before the rest of the bacteria and their endotoxins are destroyed in the oven. Also, remember since I am working with glass beakers, flasks, and plastic bottles I will have to put aluminum foil to cover the ends of the equipment, so that the bottles, beakers, and flasks don't get damaged from the heat. Simply just like any household oven remember to wear oven mitts, because inside the autoclave machine is very hot. Don't be the person who gets burned from accidentally touching the inside of the machine. Believe me the machine is very hot and you can sustain a second degree burn from this machine! After I placed all of the lab equipment on plastic trays, I then place the trays into the machine and set the timer for about 2 hours. Lastly, once the two hours were up all I have to do is get rid of the aluminum foil and put all of the lab equipment away in their designated places. Pretty much that is all I did when performing this method. It is pretty simple enough, but remember to wear oven mitts, because I have already been burned from this machine and it sure hurt a lot!

Image result for pictures of an autoclave oven
Here is a picture of the inside of an Autoclave machine
Image result for pictures of using an autoclave machine







4 comments:

  1. Hey Armando! How does plastic not melt if the temperatures are so high?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Anila, I forgot to mention that all of the plastics are surrounded by a thermal insulator tarp that keeps the plastics from being melted.

      Delete
  2. Hi Armando,
    I hope you weren't hurt too badly! Is there a display that tells you exactly how hot the Autoclave machine is?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, there is a thermometer found on a screen found outside of the autoclave machine. The picture I showed in my blog doesn't show the exact same autoclave machine that I use in the laboratory.

      Delete